The cyclists’ paradise Taevaskoja – Kiidjärve
The length of the cycling trip : ca 40 km.
The Route : Mammaste – Valgesoo – Taevaskoja – Akste – Kiidjärve – Karilatsi – Põlva – Mammaste
The beginning and the ending of the cycling trip: Tammekänni Leisure Centre at Mammaste.
On the way we can see a lot of exciting sights and natural beauty spots.
- The location of Mammaste Peasants’ School ( established in 1682 ).
- The ruins of Valgesoo mill and a stone bridge ( Otten’s mill ). We also pass different places where the shootings of a popular film “ The last Relic” took place.
- Taevaskoja Natural Park where there are sandstone banks and the Mother Spring with its sanatory water.
- The Saessaare hydro-electric power station and a dam. On Lake Taevaskoja there you can sail on a ferry “Lonni”. The lake is also suitable place for swimming and you can have a picnic at the lake.
- In Valgesoo wild-life preserve we walk along a wooden footpath, visit an observation tower and have a picnic.
- Akste ants’ colony – in the ants’ preserve there are more than 2000 ant-hills, the biggest of them are up to 2 metres high, some ant-hills are more than a hundred years old.
- On Lake Kiidjärve there is a watermill built of red bricks which is the biggest in the Baltic States. You can also see a dam built by beavers at Hatiku.
- In Karilatsi Peasantry Museum you can learn something about the life of the peasantry.
- Põlva : the church of Põlva which has stood at the same place since 1326, Intsikurmu choir stand which is surrounded with beautiful nature, a lake and a beach.
Water vehicles ( surfbikes, water bikes, a boat, a kayak, canoes and a small barbeque raft “Johanna”, where picnics can be held in the daytime as well as in the twilight ) can be rented at the lake.
On Lake Põlva you can see a light installation.
We come back along the road Tartu – Põlva.
From the bike you can see more of the world.
At the end of the cycling trip you can spend time in Tammekännu Leisure Centre.
- adventure track for children
In the yard you can buy souvenirs and have a drink in the bar.
Additional possibilities :
- accommodation in our buildings and stronghold huts
- caravan site ( 6 places )
- camping site
- an ancient feast ( for a group of 10 – 30 people ), in advance notice